San Diego Humane Society is hiring a full-time Communications Manager for our Philanthropy team!
How you’ll impact our mission:
At San Diego Humane Society, we’re united by our mission to Inspire Compassion. As one of the organization’s primary writers, the Communications Manager will have the unique opportunity to impact the lives of more than 40,000 animals each year by developing creative and impactful communications to educate, inspire and engage San Diego Humane Society’s external and internal audiences. Additionally, the Communications Manager will develop meaningful stewardship content to strengthen relationships with current, past and prospective donors.
If you’re passionate about making an impact in the animal welfare movement, we’d love to talk to you.
What’s in it for you?
At SDHS, we’re proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and commit to being a place where every person – staff, volunteer, and guest – can feel a sense of belonging. We support and invest in employees through conscious delivery of benefits and a workplace environment based on our Core Values: Compassion, Courage, Impact, Inclusion and Integrity.
As an employee you’ll enjoy:
- Competitive pay and paid time-off (including your Birthday Day Off!)
- Comprehensive benefits package, training and well-being programs
- 403(b) retirement plan with 5% match after 1 year
- Free pet adoptions, pet vaccines and spay/neuter services
- …and so much more!
What you’ll do:
- Develops, writes and edits creative, accessible content for San Diego Humane Society’s full range of external and internal communications, including, but not limited to: emails, direct mail, website copy (designed to be clear and accessible), fundraising and stewardship communications, social media, video scripts, and news/magazine articles.
- Edits content created by team members throughout the organization for style, voice and grammar.
- Adheres to Associated Press style guidelines and ensures all materials align with SDHS style guide.
- Identifies compelling photographs, video and artwork to accompany and enhance communications.
- Coordinates deliverables including creative concept, copy, graphic design, photography, etc. for communications projects.
- Identifies external trends and best practices to leverage emerging technology for content production (e.g., Chat GPT, AI).
- Attends and fulfils assigned roles at major special events and activities.
What we’re looking for:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or related subject and a minimum of five (5) years of professional writing and communications experience, or a combination of relevant experience and education.
- Must have exceptional creative writing and editing skills, as demonstrated by past professional work.
- Strong computer literacy in word processing, PowerPoint and database use required.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be approved by SDHS insurance carrier to drive a company or personal vehicle for work purposes.
Location: Supporting all campuses, but based at our San Diego Campus. This position has the potential for remote work some days of the week.
Pay: Starting range is between $70,928 – $79,794 per year. The actual starting salary is determined by your related education and experience.