Reed Smith is a global relationship law firm with more than 1,700 lawyers in 30 offices throughout the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Founded in 1877, the firm represents leading international businesses, from Fortune 100 corporations to mid-market and emerging enterprises. Its lawyers provide litigation and other dispute resolution services in multi-jurisdictional and other high-stakes matters; deliver regulatory counsel; and execute the full range of strategic domestic and cross-border transactions. Reed Smith is a preeminent advisor to industries including financial services, life sciences, health care, advertising, entertainment and media, shipping and transport, energy and natural resources, real estate, manufacturing, technology, and education. For more information, visit reedsmith.com.
As a Full Stack Software Engineer, you will work as part of the Development Team to enhance, maintain and modernize the firm’s proprietary portfolio of custom applications, intranet, extranet and data visualization initiatives. The ideal candidate will have advanced web development skills and a keen understanding of modern UI/UX. This person will be responsible for helping Reed Smith develop and maintain custom systems, data integrations and reports in support of various legal practice groups, staff departments and system integration efforts (both legal specific products and large enterprise systems). The Full Stack Software Engineer must possess the skill-sets necessary to hit the ground running. You must be comfortable independently working projects from conception through maintenance and have a desire to learn about legal industry specific technologies while solving problems quickly.
- Application Architecture: You design the overall architecture of software applications using Microsoft technologies and React, making informed decisions about the appropriate frameworks, libraries, and patterns to ensure scalability, performance, and maintainability.
- Database Management: You build and maintain databases using Microsoft SQL Server or other compatible database systems, handling tasks such as data modeling, querying, and optimization.
- Server-side Development: You implement server-side logic using Microsoft technologies like ASP.NET or Node.js. This involves writing APIs, web services, and application logic to handle client-side requests and interact with databases.
- Front-end Development with React: You develop visually appealing, responsive, and user-friendly interfaces using React, leveraging its component-based architecture and ecosystem of libraries and tools.
- Collaboration and Communication: You work closely with cross-functional international teams, including product managers, designers, and other developers, to gather requirements, exchange ideas, and ensure seamless integration of different components using Microsoft development tools like Visual Studio Code and collaboration platforms like Azure DevOps.
- Testing and Debugging: You conduct comprehensive testing of software components, including unit testing React components, integration testing server-side APIs, and using debugging tools provided by Microsoft technologies.
- Version Control and Deployment: You utilize version control systems like Git and deploy applications using Microsoft technologies such as Azure App Service or Azure Kubernetes Service, ensuring proper configuration, scalability, and monitoring.
- Continuous Learning and Improvement: You stay updated with the latest advancements in the Microsoft technology stack, React, and associated tools. You actively seek opportunities to learn new techniques and leverage them to enhance productivity and deliver high-quality software solutions.
- Off Hours and Weekend Technical support: You serve as an ‘on call’ person to provide after hours and weekend support on a rotating basis. You also deploy changes to critical applications after hours.
Job functions included are not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary. Reed Smith reserves the right to revise or modify job functions at any time.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in: Information Systems, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Five or more years of progressive responsibility in large corporate environments
- Five or more years of progressive responsibility developing web applications and services
- Experience with data analysis, modeling, and creating technical documentation
- Strong SQL skills (MS SQL preferred)
- Experience working within an Agile development environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with JSON and SOAP
- Experience with industry standard version control systems (Azure DevOps and Git Preferred)
- Hands on experience in SQL performance tuning
- Solid understanding of UI/UX principles (portfolio appreciated)
- Experience with Analysis Services (SSAS)
- Experience with Snowflake
- Experience with cloud development (Azure preferred)
- Experience with data warehousing concepts and data modeling best practices
- Experience working with Business Intelligence data visualization tools (Power BI preferred)
- Experience with machine learning (Numpy, Pandas, SciKitLearn, GPT)
- Experience in report writing (SSRS Preferred)
- Experience with legacy ASP.net and classic ASP custom applications
- Experience within the Legal industry
Supervisory Responsibilities: None.
Equipment To Be Used: Personal computer and other office equipment such as telephone, calculator, fax, machine, copier, scanner, etc.
Typical Physical Demands: Manual dexterity sufficient to operate standard office equipment.
Typical Mental Demands: Able to work effectively in a fast paced environment. Make judgment decisions and adapt to changing work situations. Grasp and apply new ideas. Communicate with various personalities at all levels.
Working Conditions: Works remotely. Occasionally called upon to work hours in excess of your normal daily schedule. Potential for in-office work requests as needed, so proximity to the Pittsburgh office is required.
Reed Smith offers a challenging work environment, business casual dress code and a total compensation package that includes a competitive salary, flexible benefits program, tuition assistance, and generous 401 (k) plan.
Reed Smith is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reed Smith's success depends heavily on the effective utilization of qualified people, regardless of their race, ancestry, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, disability, veteran's status, or any characteristic protected by law. As a firm, we adhere to and promote equal employment opportunity for all.
Reed Smith provides reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities, including in the application and interview process.
Qualified candidates only. No search firms.