Hello, and thank you for considering our Content Manager opening for your next career move. We're excited to share details of the role and a bit about Upgrow.
Many job descriptions are quick and generic, leaving you with lots of questions. This is meant to be a comprehensive look at the role, who it’s a good fit for, and how we operate as a company. With that disclaimer, you officially can’t get mad that it’s long! Here we go...
- Salary Range: $65,000 to $85,000
- Location: Fully Remote in US Time Zones
- Experience Required: 4+ years in SEO content and/or copywriting/editing roles
- Experience Preference: Direct response and ad copywriting or editing experience
- Benefits: Employee Health/Dental/Vision Insurance, Unlimited PTO, Profit Sharing (Avg +5% of Salary), 401K Match
- Company Overview, Upgrow is a performance-driven digital marketing agency primarily working with B2B tech, finance, and healthcare brands. More on us further down.
- We work with fast-growing, world-class companies like Gates Ventures, Orca Security, QuantumScape, Leesa, TalkDesk, SingleStore, (and more) to scale lead and sales generation.
- Tech-empowered (eg, using tools and processes to automate boring tasks)
- Upgrow is ranked as the #2013 fasted growing company in America by Inc. 5000
- A small but mighty team of ~28
- See more at: www.Upgrow.io or watch our 90-second explainer video here.
How is Upgrow different than other agencies?
- Focused on scaling our successWe don't want to get comfortable, it sounds way too boring. That's why we're always adding new software, developing better processes, hiring for new disciplines, and seeking efficiency and automation wherever we can.
- High-touch, long-term client workOur clients are primarily funded startups and established companies. Mostly B2B tech, finance, and healthcare. We don't plan to have 100's of clients but instead 10's of clients that we deliver comprehensive, highly engaged consultation and implementation for.
- Full-Stack performance marketingUpgrow offers PPC, SEO, design, content writing, web analytics, and conversion rate optimization services so if any point in the sales funnel isn't working... we can fix it.
About the Content Manager Role
We are looking for a key manager to lead our SEO content program as well as support direct response copywriting for paid media ads and landing pages.
This is PERFECT for someone who wants to take OWNERSHIP in SEO content strategy and oversight, build and manage a stable of freelance copywriters, and project manage content deliverables to deadlines and provide excellent copy editing and QA.
The basics —> what the job consists of, and who we're looking for.
You’ll be doing stuff like:
- Collaborating with our SEO team on target keywords, content strategy, and planning
- Incorporating AI and Chat GPT into our content research, outlines, and writing for increases in speed and savings in cost. Able to embrace the technology as an assistant, not a replacement.
- Recruiting, onboarding, and project-managing freelance writers
- Copy editing content and ensuring 100% of client work is high quality
- Overseeing direct response copywriting on landing pages and ads
- Creating on-page SEO content writing SOPs and agency playbooks
Who we’re looking for (skills)
- SEO Content ExpertHas developed SEO content strategies and oversaw content programs that consistently got results.
- Content ManagementHas built and managed a reliable, consistent pool of freelance writers who meet deadlines and turn out quality work that needs limited revisions.
- AI-Content EnthusiastUses AI as a powerful tool in the SEO and content process, and understands prompts and workflows to get the most out of AI tools.
- Ultimate OwnershipLook, challenges come up, and we need a juggernaut that can find a way through. This means meeting deadlines, finding performance solutions, learning skill gaps as needed, and generally taking care of business.
- Process-OrientedWe are big on building processes. You'll have a bunch of processes and onboarding materials that will guide you to do your job, and then be in a position to contribute to those very processes yourself.
- Bonus: B2B Tech Lead Gen and/or Agency BackgroundA majority of our clients are B2B tech companies, so experience there is a plus (but not required), and if you've already done the agency thing juggling multiple clients and priorities - that's also uber relevant to our work.
- Location = 100% remote, but working in US timezones. We are not a micro-managing kind of company at all, but aligning your availability with clients and colleagues is important as a critical department leader.
- Work culture = A lot of ownership and accountability, mixed with the support of processes and people with whom you'll work closely. We don't have excessive internal meetings, and you'll have occasional (but not redundant) strategy calls with clients. Otherwise, you get to spend most of your days doing REAL SEO CONTENT WORK!
- Btw, our work hours are typically your standard 40/wk. Core working hours are generally 8:30am to 5:30pm in your time zone (except EST which is 9am to 6pm) - with an hour lunch break.
About the Team
We love keeping a "business casual" sort of virtual work environment that's fun, positive, and encouraging. That said, we work hard and demand results from ourselves, but also do it because we like accomplishing big things, not only because it's technically our job.
Is this a good fit for me?
Obviously, we're biased, but here is our honest (as can be) assessment of the pros/cons of working at Upgrow — in this role.
Benefits to you and your career
- The Package Base salary of $65K to $85K annually, but it can really vary depending on your background and readiness. We're considering a range of candidates for years of experience, work history, skills, and management track record. Therefore, it's tough to give a window without it being ridiculous. We can chat more on the topic upfront if you're interested.
- High performance bonus potential! Annual profit-sharing, account retention/renewals, and case study bonuses (can add 10%+ to your salary!)
- Paid health, dental, and vision
- Life and disability insurance
- Unlimited PTO plus 10 company holidays
- Annual company summits in cool locations, most recently San Francisco
- Sweet company swag that will quickly elevate your social status.
Who would NOT want to take this role
A good match for any role requires a great fit between team members and the company. There are amazing people who aren’t in the right time/space in their careers to thrive and appreciate every role. . . and that’s totally ok! Just trying to keep it real here.
It might not be a good fit for you, IF:
- You just want to write
- To be clear, this is not a copywriting role, this is a content manager role. While there will be some writing (most rewriting/editing) the primary function of this role is overseeing content creation and building an SEO content strategy for each client.
- You want to be told exactly what to do
- While we have some processes documented and our team is not newbies, this role will be expected to set best practices for SEO content. That doesn't mean you're on your own or starting from 0, but we do want you to drive with ownership and accountability. So if you're looking for a lot of handholding and guardrails, this might not be the gig for you.
- You want to stay in your comfort zone
- You'll have the opportunity to solve new problems and help us evolve the way we think about working with fast-growing companies. If you don't like geeking out on new information from industry blogs, forums, Google, and Youtube then you'll get frustrated fast. We all solve new problems on a regular basis, which is exciting to some - but not what everyone is looking for.
- You really want an office and are apprehensive of remote work
- We’re fully distributed and that's our long-term plan. It does take some discipline to work on your own and focus. For those in San Francisco, we do offer desk space and an in-office bi-weekly workday though.
- You want a freelance-style work schedule
- If your schedule requires high flexibility or you prefer working exclusively in the middle of the night, then this probably isn't your gig. If you are backpacking across Europe with sometimes spotty wifi, then you're also going to have a hard time. As an account leader, we need you at the helm during the workday.
Examples of backgrounds/experiences that may be a great fit
This is NOT some definitive list; more so, to show examples that different types of people could kill it in this role. For example:
- Digital Marketing or SEO agency background and thrive in this challenging environment of juggling multiple client projects simultaneously, across multiple industries and meeting tight deadlines. You're able to prioritize with laser focus efficiency and able to manage expectations effectively
- Startup SEO/content marketing background with an understanding of how to get big results quickly and from an early stage using SEO, content, and funnels.
- SEO and Direct Response copywriting or content management consulting background providing services to clients.
If you don't fit any of these descriptions, but you still think you're qualified, then go ahead and apply!
How We Hire: A Look Inside Our Hiring Process
- Apply OnlineNow that you have found a position that you have matched your skills and interests it’s time to apply! You will be asked to submit a video response and answer a few questions about your background.
- Application ReviewApplications are read first by our friendly recruiter and hiring manager, if we find that you are a potential match, we will reach out by email to schedule a call with you to learn more about your skills and experience.
- The Interviews
- Our interview process consists of 3 interviews, a questionnaire, and a case study presentation.
- Short conversation via Zoom video with our Administrative Coordinator.
- Questionnaire we will ask you to complete a small (20-25 minute) questionnaire. (This helps us understand how you think and your approach to content)
- Conversation with our Co-Founders. They'll give you a feel for the role/company, and ask you some questions to better understand your background, experience, and fit.
- Writing Sample The final step will be to create a writing assignment to showcase your skill.
- You’re in! After the interview process, we will review everything and make a decision as a team. If it's a great fit, we'll present you with an offer and review everything on a call. If you accept you'll be part of the team and begin planning for the onboarding process!